Match Reports‎ > ‎

ACFL Division 1: Athlone 2-9 Coralstown-Kinnegad 2-13

posted 13 Apr 2015, 12:20 by Athlone GAA
ACFL Division 1:  
Athlone 2-9 Coralstown-Kinnegad 2-13 

Athlone hosted Coralstown-Kinnegad under the Páirc Chiaráin lights on Friday night hoping to build on their victory over Mullingar Shamrocks the last time out, but instead it was the visitors who came away with the league points, mainly due to an impressive first half performance which saw them score 2-9 from play.
The visitors took the initiative straight from the throw-in and had three superb points from play on the board before the opening two minutes had elapsed.  Noel Mulligan pulled a point back from Athlone's first attack after a good team move, before Kinnegad restored their three point lead with a fisted score.
With the Athlone defence struggling to cope with the movement and accuracy of the Reds' forwards, it looked like Kinnegad were going to run away with the game but Athlone drew level when a Noel Mulligan effort came back off the post to Andy Lynam, who slammed the rebound to the net.
Kinnegad responded to this setback with three more excellent points to lead by 0-7 to 1-1 but again Athlone drew level with a goal, this time when Jack Quinn got on the end of a long pass and coolly finished under the advancing keeper.  A Noel Mulligan point from a free had Athlone somehow leading after 20 minutes but Kinnegad equalised almost immediately with another point from play.

Athlone would've been pleased to be level at this stage but now it was our turn to fall victim to a three-pointer when the opposing full-forward got between the keeper and full-back to fist a high dropping ball to the net.  Joe Fallon pulled a point back for Athlone after a great run by Matty Darling, but CK struck for their second goal with an emphatic finish after a mistake in the Athlone defence. Yet another spectacular Kinnegad point was answered by a Joe Fallon free to leave the half-time score Athlone 2-4 Coralstown-Kinnegad 2-9.

Athlone started the second half brightly and a brace of points from Noel Mulligan and Jack Quinn reduced the gap to three points.  The visitors were finding the going a lot tougher against the Athlone defence in the second period and didn't get their opening score, from a free,  until the 37th minute.  Unfortunately, despite their opening flourish, Athlone were also struggling to get scores on the board and had to wait until the 45th minute for a Noel Mulligan free to leave them trailing by 2-10 to 2-7 with 15 minutes remaining.

The game was still up for grabs at this stage but, despite increased possession and pressure, Athlone couldn't reduce the gap any further.  Instead Kinnegad were able to absorb the pressure and struck the next three points (two from frees) to lead by six with five remaining.   To their credit, Athlone refused to give up and dominated the last few minutes, but were only able to add another Jack Quinn point and a Joe Fallon injury time free to their total, to leave the visitors victorious on a final score of 2-13 to 2-9
Scorers:  Jack Quinn 1-2, Noel Mulligan 0-4 (0-2f,) Joe Fallon 0-3 (0-2f,) Andy Lynam 1-0.